PROTECTING YOUR PRIVACY
The privacy of your personal information is very important to us.
ABOUT THE PRIVACY ACT
The Federal Government’s Privacy Act regulates, via the National Privacy Principles, the way private sector organisations can collect, use, keep, secure and disclose personal information.
“Personal information” includes information that can be used to identify an individual e.g. name, address, telephone number.
The aim of the law is to ensure that private organisations that hold personal information about people, handle that information responsibly. It also gives people some control over the way information about them is handled. For example, it gives individuals the right to know what personal information an organisation holds about them and a right to correct that information if it is wrong.
We collect personal information from you that is relevant to providing real estate services, including services to actual and prospective vendors, purchasers, landlords and tenants. We will usually collect this information directly from you. However, in some circumstances we may also collect personal information from other sources, for example from a referee, a legal representative, or a tenancy reference service.
We may also collect personal information about someone else, from you. For example, you may wish to rent a property in joint names and so you give us information about your spouse. If this happens, you must tell that other person that you have or will provide information about them to us. If they do not consent, you must tell us.
We may also monitor and/or record telephone calls for the purposes of quality assurance, staff training, verification and record keeping.
USE OF INFORMATION
We may use your personal information for a variety of reasons including to:
- provide products and services to you;
- answer your inquiries and deliver customer service;
- tell you about other services or promotional offers that we think may be of interest;
- refer you to our partners and brokers to discuss products or services;
- maintain and improve our customer service;
- meet our regulatory and legal obligations;
- manage and resolve any legal or commercial complaints and issues;
- manage our relationships with our participating providers, suppliers and stakeholders; and
- carry out internal functions, including training; and conduct marketing research and analysis.
We may also use your information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law including purposes for which you have provided your consent. That consent may be written, verbal or implied from your conduct.
From time to time, we may use data collection devices such as ‘cookies’ in conjunction with our website. Cookies are commonly used on the internet. They are a small file placed onto your device by a server. A cookie can later be identified by a server. We may use both ‘persistent’ and ‘session’ cookies.
We may measure (and use the services of a marketing company to help us measure) the effectiveness of advertising and how visitors use our site. Although our marketing company may manage the information coming from our site on our behalf, we control how that data may and may not be used. Any information that is collected in this way is used in an aggregated form; we do not use it to identify you as an individual.
- to provide you with better and more customised service and a more effective website;
- collecting anonymous statistical information on things such as how many visitors our site receive, how those visitors use the site and where they came from.
If you wish, you can configure your browser so it does not accept cookies, but this may affect the functionality of the website.
DISCLOSURE TO OTHER PARTIES
We may disclose your personal information in these circumstances:
- where this is necessary for us to provide the services that you have asked us to provide (for example, disclosing a tenant’s name and phone number to a tradesperson or owners corporation manager);
- to our:
- brokers who, as a result of our referral, may contact you to discuss their financial products;
- professional advisors;
- information technology service providers;
- payment systems operators and financial institutions;
- organisations authorised by Amity to conduct sales, promotional, research or marketing activities;
- partners, contractors and suppliers in connection with marketing or sales activities conducted on our behalf; and
- to referees, employers and third party tenancy reference databases.
If you enquire about a property that we are offering for sale or rent, we may also disclose your information to our client (the vendor or landlord of that property).
We will also disclose your personal information where the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
Any third parties we provide information to are only permitted to use or disclose personal information provided to them for the specific purpose for which it was provided.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can request access to the personal information we hold about you. Access will not be denied unless there are exceptional circumstances as allowed for under the Privacy Act. For example, where we are involved in legal proceedings or where the request is frivolous. We may charge a fee for access and if we do, we will advise you of the fee prior to proceeding with the request.
ACCURACY OF INFORMATION
We will take reasonable measures to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. If you believe your personal information is not accurate and up to date, please inform us. We will promptly update any information that is incorrect.
We will take reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information that we have about you is protected against any unlawful use or access and is kept safe and secure.
We may place links from our website to other websites. For example, on the website for a specific property development. We have no control over the content on other websites that are accessible from a link on our website and we take no responsibility for the conduct of those third party companies. We recommend that you always read the privacy and security statements when using other websites.
PRIVACY COLLECTION NOTICE
Amity Property Group Pty Ltd ACN 149 270 333 (‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’) collect personal information about you in order to provide you with our services either through our website or with one of our partners or broker partners. We may disclose personal information about you to such third parties in connection with that purpose.
If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any concerns with how we are handling your personal information please write to:
Amity Property Group
247 Toorak Road
If the concerns you have are not resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact the Federal Privacy Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or visit their website www.privacy.gov.au.